You’re a system administrator and want to prevent users from changing the desktop background or the Windows 7 themes? Read this tutorial to learn how.
You can prevent that users change the desktop background or any themes. Let’s see how.
Tip: You need Windows 7 Professional or higher to open the Group Policy Editor. If you’re on Windows 7 Starter or Home you can modify the registry.
1. Step Enter gpedit.msc into the search bar on your Start menu
2. Step Uncollapse User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, Personalization
3. Step In the right pane you can now do the following:
Prevent changing color scheme
Prevent changing theme
Prevent changing visual style for windows and buttons
Prevent changing windows color and appearance
Prevent changing desktop background
Prevent changing desktop icons
Prevent changing mouse pointers
Prevent changing screen saver
Prevent changing sounds
Enable or disable screensaver
Prohibit selection of visual style font size
Force specific screen saver
Load a specific theme
Force a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic
4. Step As you can see there are quite a few options to prevent users from changing any Windows 7 themes or specific elements like wallpapers, icons or screensavers.
5. Step If you only want to prevent them from changing the desktop background and Windows 7 theme, double-click on Prevent changing theme and Prevent changing desktop background and select “Enabled” (you need to select enabled to prevent it, not disabled)
6. StepIf you dont want any theme at all I would also recommended to force the Windows Classic theme.