In this tutorial, we are showing you how to customize Windows 8. This tutorial contains the summarized steps from various customization tutorials on our site and explain how to add new wallpapers, install new cursors, desktop icons and sounds and lastly gives you some instructions how to customize the touch screen behavior.
Customizing The Windows Appearance – Look And Feel
1. Step To change the Metro Starter screen wallpaper in Windows 8, download Windows 8 Start Tweaker from http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=196962&t=0&i=1and open it. Next, click on the Metro Background Image and select the image you wan to use as a wallpaper and finally click on the Apply button to customize the screen.
2. Step To change Windows 8 logon screen, open the Control Panel, then click on the Personalize. Next, click on the Browse and choose image. Finally, Press Windows + L hotkey to view the new customized screen background.
3. Step To add new cursors in Windows 8, open the Control Panel, click on the More Settings and then click on the Mouse. Click on the Pointers tab. Select the cursor you want to use and click on the Open button. Now the cursor you have just selected will be shown. Click on the Apply and then OK. Make sure you already have a cursor in your system. You can get some good cursors for Windows 8 here.
4. Step To add new desktop icons in Windows 8, open the desktop from the start screen, then right click on the desktop and select Personalize. Next, click on the ‘Change desktop icons’ located at the top-right corner. Next, select / check the icons you want to show on your desktop. Then Click on the Apply and OK. You can customize the icons by clicking on Change Icon…
5. Step To change color appearance in Windows 8, open the Control Panel, click on the More Settings and then click on the Appearance and Personalization. Next, click on the Change windows colors. Finally, select the color. Slide the transparency slider. If you want more color then click on the ‘Show color mixer’ dropdown and choose color. To customize the color, click on Show color mixer and add various new colors.
6. Step To change sounds in Windows 8, open the Control Panel by clicking on the Control Panel tile on the Start Screen.
Then, click on the More Settings. Next, click on the Hardware and Sound. Next, click on the change system sounds. Finally, select Sound Scheme from dropdown list or use your own sound by clicking Browse and select the sound. Set the Program Events when you want to play the sound in the Program Events section. After you are done, click on the Apply button and then OK to apply your custom sound theme.
Customizing Touch Screen Behaviour
Last, you might want to change the touch keyboard behaviour in Windows 8 to make your Windows 8 more accessible and easier to use. First, open the Control Panel, then click on the General. Next, click on the Touch Keyboard settings.
Enable or disable touch keyboard settings to change touch keyboard behaviour in Windows 8. Slide the metrol button to enable or disable. More customization features might be added in the beta.
To disable the touch screen on Windows 8, open the Control Panel, click on the More Settings and then click on the Hardware and Sound. Next, Click on the Pen and Touch. Next, In the Pen and Touch box, click on the Touch tab.
Then disable ‘Use your finger as an input device’ by unchecking on it. Finally click or tap Apply button. Later, if you want to enable it then check ‘Use your finger as an input device’.
To close Windows 8 metro apps, Press Esc+Shift+Ctrl to open task manager directly or Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager. Then select the apps you want to close in the Task Manager and click on the End Task button.
Apparently Windows 8 uses a new technique that do not require us to close metro apps. It automatically suspend apps and kill them later when the Windows 8 notices u have already finished using that application.
At first you might feel bit awkward with the look of Windows 8 as it is based on Metro style. But as you start exploring Windows 8, you will feel much relaxed as Windows 8 is quite user friendly than earlier version of Windows.