Windows 7 Sidebar not working…
.. on your PC?
Well, you have probably turned off (like every smart user) the UAC completely.
There is a bug (could be fixed in RC1) that your sidebar stops working as soon as you do that.
In order to fix the sidebar you will have to do this…
- Activate the hidden admin account (Read this post if you don’t know how)
- Take Ownership of the folder (C:/Program Files/Windows Sidebar): Simply right-click on the folder and select “take ownership”.
- Make sure to give your account full access rights to the folder: Right-click and select properties (tab:security). Edit all the accounts that are listed and check “full control”.
- Make a backup of the files sidebar.exe, settings.ini and the folder en-us inside the “Windows Sidebar” folder.
- Download Windows7 Sidebar Fix (Turn off Download Accelerator)
- Unzip the files to the sidebar folder, after you renamed or deleted the files sidebar.exe, settings.ini and the folder en-us. (Note: You will probably not be able to replace them).
Now you can start your sidebar again. I am still receiving the error “unspecified error”, when I try to install certain gadgets. If you know a solution, please let us know!