Windows 7 Aero Themes Greyed Out?
Are your Windows 7 Aero themes greyed out? So, you can’t run or activate any Aero themes? If that’s your problem, you can follow some short instructions to enable Aero themes again or if your graphic card driver does not support WDDM, you can download our registry hack.
Can you run Windows 7 Aero Themes?
Answer a few questions and we will quickly find out why the Aero Themes are greyed out in Vista or Windows 7:
- Do you have a DirectX8 graphic card or lower?
- Does your graphic card have less than 128MB RAM?
- Does your PC have less than 1GB RAM?
- Do you have a CPU with less than 1Ghz?
- Do you use Windows 7 Home Basic?
- Do you have a Intel 910 and 915 Express chipset?
If you answered one of the questions with yes, your PC does not fully support Windows 7 Aero Themes!
Requirements for Windows 7 Aero Themes:
- The minimum system requirements are:
- DirectX9 graphics card
- PC with 1Ghz and 1GB RAM
- Windows 7 Home Premium or better
- WDDM driver
…get the latest graphic card drivers for your graphic card
Themes greyed out? Start troubleshooting!
So, most of the time when the Aero themes are greyed out, your hardware does not support WDDM.
But there can be other reasons. E.g. if the service Desktop Window Manager Session Manager is not running.
1. Open the control panel.
2. Click on “find and fix your problems” below “System and Security”:
3. Click on “Display Aero Desktop Effects”:
4. Follow the wizard.
Themes still greyed out? Force Enable Aero!
Some drivers simply don’t support WDDM(Windows Display Driver Model ), so you have to force enable Aero via a registry key.
Insert this into a notepad and save it as a .reg file and execute it:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Download this registry tweak and double-click on it to add the keys to your registry:
- Get more instructions how to enable Windows 7 Aero themes
Download Windows 7 Aero Themes
Worked? If you can enable Aero themes again, you might want to download some of our Aero themes for Windows 7:
Based on 1 votes