Is your volume icon missing in Windows 7 and possibly some other icons too, e.g. the network connections icon, the system notifications icon or the Windows updates icon? If so, here’s a guide how to restore your icons.
There are two reasons why your volume icon is missing. 1. You did not enable it. 2. Your explorer.exe is corrupt and you need to repair it.
1. Enable Volume Icon
You can skip this if you know you enabled the icon.
1. Right-click on your taskbar and click on Properties
2. Click on the Customize button:
3. At the bottom click on Turn system icons on or off:
4. Select ON from the volume icon dropdown field:
2. How to Restore Volume Icon
If your explorer.exe is corrupt you’ll miss more than just the volume icon. Usually, other system icons are missing too: the network connections icon, the system notifications icon or the Windows updates icon.
In order to restore missing icons, you have to run the Windows System File Checker
Important: Before running this command, backup your modified system files if you are tweaking Windows 7 like we do.
1. Open Command Prompt
2. Enter sfc.exe /scannow
3. Wait until the scan has been completed. Restart.
Your volume icon and other icons will be restored. Keep in mind that you still might have to enable the volume icon.
8 Trending Windows 7 Themes
4 Related Themes, Tweaks And News