You want to remove write protection from a disk? Here’s how you do it!
So, I tried to move a file on my external hard drive. I received the message “The disk is write protected – Remove the write-protection or use another disk”. This can sometimes happen (possibly a driver problem). Diskpart is a system tool that can be used to modify the attributes of disks and remove the write-protection. Here’s how you use it.
1. Open a command prompt and enter
2. Enter diskpart
3. Enter list volume
4. Enter select volume # where # is the number e.g. 3
5. Enter attributes disk clear readonly
6. If the write-protection is still active, you can try to enter attributes volume clear readonly instead.
A possible solution, if you don’t want to always use diskpart to remove the write protection over and over again, is to install AHCI drivers for your drive. Here’s how to enable AHCI in Windows 7
Trending On Windows 7 Themes .Net
- Mouse Pointers For Windows
- Best Security Software For Windows 8
- Take Professional Screenshots on Windows 8