Is your internet becoming slow in Windows 7, but you don’t know how to speed up the internet connection? No worries, here are some of the best ways to speed up your internet connection in Windows 7 and make it blazing fast again.
When it comes to internet connections, there are some things you can do to speed up your download speed, website loading speed or improve your gaming latency:
- 1. Speed Up Internet via Latency Fix
- 2. Speed Up Youtube Buffering
- 3. Speed Up Torrent Downloads
- 4. Avoid WLAN / Buy Repeater
- 5. Compare OpenDNS with your ISP DNS Server
- 6. Optimize Browser Cache Size
- 7. Scan for malware
Table Of Contents - Quick Links!
- 1. Apply Windows 7 Latency Registry Fix
- 2. Slow Youtube? Speed Up Youtube Buffering via Accelerator
- 3. Slow Torrent Downloads? Speed Up Torrent Download via SkyDownloader
- 4. AVOID WLAN / Buy Repeater
- 5. Compare your ISP DNS with OpenDNS
- 6. Optimize Cache Size for Video Buffering
- 7. Scan for Spyware & Malware
1. Apply Windows 7 Latency Registry Fix
By default, Windows 7 latency can be pretty high. Especially in some games you might notice a significant higher latency in Windows 7 than for example in Windows XP. For example, WoW players often complain about slow internet connections in Windows 7:
Tip: Some internet providers can improve your latency for a few bucks more per month. Useful for gamers, especially progamer.
2. Slow Youtube? Speed Up Youtube Buffering via Accelerator
Speedbit’s Video Accelerator for example allows you to build up multiple connections to a Youtube video and speed up the buffering process. This works quite well for me and is definitely worth trying. Often your internet connection is not slow, but the servers of the website are overloaded. Youtube for example is serving millions of video views per day, so it’s only normal that sometimes the servers become a bit slower.
3. Slow Torrent Downloads? Speed Up Torrent Download via SkyDownloader
SkyDownloader is one of the best torrent clients, because it will find popular torrents and help you to connect to the fastest torrents out there. You can speed up your torrent downloads 5-10 times! If you’re downloading a torrent with low seeders, SkyDownloader will auto-check for more popular torrents (same file) and use them for downloading, instead of the low-quality torrents.
4. AVOID WLAN / Buy Repeater
Most importantly is the speed of your connection. If you have a slow 1024KB/s internet connection you will not be able to get fast download speeds, so your internet connection will appear to be slower. Secondly, always try to avoid WLAN. WLAN is not very secure and can be hacked by experts in a matter of minutes (yes, WPA2 too). Plus it’s a MAJOR cause of slow internet connections. WLAN signals can easily be blocked and the lower the signal strength the slower your internet connection. Therefore, you should always try to connect to the internet via cable. If that is impossible buy a repeater to increase the signal strength over long distances and you can possibly increase the internet speed by 50% (greatly depends on the distance and your current signal strength).
Cheap WLAN repeater/extender are available on Amazon for $30 – $40
Hawking HWREG1 Wireless G Range Extender
5. Compare your ISP DNS with OpenDNS
Sometimes you can speed up a slow internet connection by changing the DNS server. If your ISP (Internet Service Provider, e.g. Comcast, AOL, Telecom) is using a slow DNS server to resolve domains then you can speed up your internet connection using OpenDNS.
Resolving a domain means that your browser will have to translate the IP address of a server/website to a *real* domain name. Every website first has to be resolved, but when the DNS server of your ISP is slow this can take quite some time and will increase the loading time of websites. Therefore it is recommended to compare DNS server speed.
How to compare DNS server speed:
- 1. Open a command prompt
- 2. Enter prompt $t to get the current time
- 3. Enter nslookup www.windows7themes.net 18.104.22.168
- 4. Write down how long it took for the nameserver lookup to complete
- 5. Repeat 1-4 but this time replace the IP address 22.214.171.124 with the IP address of your ISP DNS server
- 6. Compare the times and if your ISP DNS server is slower, consider using OpenDNS.
You can find the IP address of your ISP DNS server via Google, search for [ISP name] DNS Server IP address
Comcast DNS Server IP address
6. Optimize Cache Size for Video Buffering
Did you know that the cache size of the Internet Explorer 8 is set to 50MB only? When your cache is full video buffering might become slow! Therefore it’s important to set a appropriate cache size. If you want to increase your cache size to a recommended value of 250MB then read this guide:
Set Internet Explorer Cache Size (registry or group policy)
7. Scan for Spyware & Malware
Microsoft states that often the internet connection is getting slow because of viruses, trojans, malware, spyware and other malicious files. If you don’t regularly scan your system for malware, you should use one of the following tools to scan your system and speed up your Windows 7 internet connection. Malware can be tracking your online behaviour and increase the loading time of websites (because it’s busy scanning your behaviour!).
TOP5 Spyware Scanner for Windows 7 (Use MalwareBytes to scan your system!)
I hope that the 7 tips will help you to speed up your internet connection in Windows 7. There are some other handy tools to speed up your internet connection that I will write about in a separate post. Bookmark this post or subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest updates on this.
If you know ANY tricks to speed up the internet connection in Windows 7, Vista or XP then let us know and I’m sure many of our readers will appreciate what you have to share.
Trending On Windows 7 Themes .Net
- Mouse Pointers For Windows
- Best Security Software For Windows 8
- Take Professional Screenshots on Windows 8