In Windows 8 you can easily restore your PC to default factory settings or revert to a known good configuration using the “Reset Your PC” and “Refresh Your PC” features. It’s like the Windows 7 system restore feature – only much better.
Tip: As of right now the Windows 8 developer version allows you to easily reset and refresh your Windows 8 PC. This might change in the final version of Windows 8, but here’s how you would do it.
Refresh Your Windows 8 PC (Go Back To Known Configuration
1. Open the Control Panel
2. Go to option General
3. You can revert to a known state by refreshing your PC without affecting any of your files. Click on Getting Started below Refresh your PC without affecting your files
- Your file and personalization settings won’t change
- Your PC settings will be restore to their default
- Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed
Important: All your Metro apps will be kept. Malware etc will be scanned for and removed, but other apps will be lost for good.
Reset Your Windows 8 PC To Factory Default
If you sell your PC, you might want to reset your PC first, removing everything and resetting the configuration.
1. Repeat steps 1 – 2 above
2. You can now easily revert to the factory default, basically resetting your PC. Click on “Getting Started” below the option Reset your PC and start over
- Your personal files and apps will be removed
- Your PC settings will be restored to their default
We’ll keep you posted on this and let you know how this feature will change in Windows 8 beta, Windows 8 RTM and the final version.
Trending On Windows 7 Themes .Net
- Mouse Pointers For Windows
- Best Security Software For Windows 8
- Take Professional Screenshots on Windows 8