Do you need know how to repair Windows 7 system files? If your system is broken and you can’t even start Windows 7, you will have to scan and repair your system files immediately. Windows comes with some useful built-in tools to scan, validate and repair system files!
If you modify Windows 7 system files it can happen that your system files become corrupt or that Windows won’t start at all. This often happens when you replace Windows 7 system files with corrupt/wrong files, not knowing for example that there is a difference between Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit. Beginners should stay away from modifying the system files anyway, although you can learn quite a lot by breaking and repairing your own system.
Important Disclaimer: If you follow this tutorial to scan and repair your Windows 7 system files you have to keep in mind that you will possibly lose all of your modifications to those system files. This is often intended, but should be aware of it!
- How to repair Windows 7 system files if you can start Windows
- How to repair Windows 7 system files if you can’t start Windows
How To Repair Windows 7 System Files (If you can start Windows)
2. Enter sfc.exe /scannow
3. If you get a warning that a computer repair is currently in process, reboot.
4. Get a tea or wait some time. The scan will take approx. 5 minutes:
5. If you are prompted to insert a Windows 7 DVD, insert it. Sometimes you will have to replace system files with the original files.
What is sfc.exe ?
Sfc.exe stands for “System File Checker” and is capable of scanning your Windows 7 system files and if necessary repair or replace them. If you have to replace system files it can become necessary to insert your genuine copy of Windows 7. If you want to know how exactly the scan works, you should check the Microsoft documentation or Windows 7 Help.
How To Repair Windows 7 System Files (If you can’t start Windows)
1. Start PC, Insert Windows 7 DVD and hit a key when asked to. You may have to change your boot order to boot from DVD!
Important: It is NOT necessary to to boot from your Windows 7 DVD to repair system files, but it is highly recommended.
2. Click on “Repair your computer“:
The installer will scan your PC for previous Windows 7 installations:
4. Click on Command Prompt
8 Trending Windows 7 Themes
4 Related Themes, Tweaks And News