Installing screensavers on Windows 7 is really simple. Here’s a short how-to guide that will give you step-by-step instructions. Intermediate users might want to read about customizing their screensavers (e.g. number of Bubbles). Advanced users will get instructions how to install a logon/logoff screensaver.
Windows 7 makes installing screensavers as easy as 1,2,3. However, you should take GOOD care before installing a screensaver. Often, screensavers can be harmful files. Because they will be copied into an important system folder (system32) they can be used to infiltrate your system.
Table Of Contents - Quick Links!
Installing Screensavers Automatically
1. Download a screensaver. Screensavers use the file format .scr, which means the name will be Screensaver.scr. If you don’t have such a file it’s properly not a screensaver.
2. Right-click on the .scr file and then click on Test to preview the screensaver:
3. Finally, click on Install and Windows 7 will automatically install the screensaver for you. Easy, huh?
4. Did not work for you? Proceed below.
Are you on Windows 7 Starter? Instructions how to change Windows 7 screensaver
When the screensaver is installed, you might want to change it again. To do that, you can either follow the instructions above to simply install a new screensaver or you can select a screensaver that is already installed on your system (if you previously installed any screensavers).
1. Right-click on your desktop and then click on Personalize
2. Now at the bottom, there’s a hyperlink Screensaver, click on it:
3. Next, select a screensaver from the dropdown.
4. Click on Settings to customize it.
5. Finally, click on Apply to change the screensaver.
Is the screensaver that you just installed not listed? You did not correctly install the screensaver or the .scr file is corrupt. Try to download the .scr file again and copy it manually into the folder C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64
Follow the instructions below to install the screensaver manually.
Want to change logon/logoff screensaver as well? Here’s how: Change Logon/Logoff Screensaver
You can customize the Windows 7 default screensavers, e.g. you can modify the numbers of Bubbles or the Aurora screensaver.
Installing Screensavers Manually
Of course you can also install screensavers manually.
1. Select the .scr screensaver file and then hold down CTRL + C
2. Open the Windows Explorer (Windows key + E)
3. Go to C:\Windows\System32
4. Hold down CTRL + V to copy the screensaver file into the folder
5. Confirm the UAC prompt
6. Double-click on the screensaver to install it.
The screensaver will now be listed in the Personalization Control Panel (as described here)
Matrix Dual-Monitor Screensaver
Some screensavers support dual-monitors. Here’s a Matrix Dual-Monitor Screensaver
8 Trending Windows 7 Themes
4 Related Themes, Tweaks And News