A user on our Facebook page asked how to fix the Windows Media Player error c00d11b1 “Windows Media Player can’t play the file”. There is an easy solution to make Windows Media Player play your files again. Here’s how.
This error usually occurs when DRM licenses are corrupt or something is broken. To fix the error all you have to do is to delete your Windows Media Player DRM licenses and recreate them.
Table Of Contents - Quick Links!
Solution 1: Delete DRM Licenses & Cache
What we are going to do is now to delete all DRM Licenses.
Important: To avoid losing licenses, please create a backup before deleting the files
1. Follow this tutorial to Unhide all hidden files
2. Verify that you can see hidden files
3. Open a Windows Explorer (Windows key + E) and then go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM\ (can’t see the folder? Repeat step 1-2, the folder is hidden!)
4. Delete all files in the folder.
5. Open the subfolder Cache and delete all files in there as well.
6. Let Windows Media Player download your licenses again.
7. Play your Windows Media Player files again
Solution 2: Security Component Upgrade Fix
This guide might be a bit older, but it still might help some to solve some problems:
Upgrade Windows Media Player Security Componennt
Solution 3: Install Codecs
Download and install this codec package: Vista Codec Package (It’s a codec package for Vista, but it should also work on Windows 7).
If you are on Windows XP, then download and install this codec pack: XP Codec Pack
Sometimes, there might be a codec issue that is causing the error and might not allow you to play any files in Windows Media Player.
Solution 4: Disable Firewall Temporarily
There can be a problem that your firewall is blocking the Windows Media Player streaming. If so, you should temporarily disable your firewall to see if that is causing any problems. Firewalls often block important ports that are required in order to run some programs.
Did this solve your problem? Do you still get the error message c00d11b1 “Windows Media Player can’t play the file”? Let us know!
Trending On Windows 7 Themes .Net
- Mouse Pointers For Windows
- Best Security Software For Windows 8
- Take Professional Screenshots on Windows 8