Disabling the swap file in Windows 7 or changing its size is really simple and most of you will already know how to do it, but to complete the SSD optimization guide here are the step-by-step instructions. We do not recommend disabling the swap file on a normal HDD, this is for SSD’s only.
If you disable the paging file on your SSD, it will increase the longevity of your SSD, because you will have less disk writes. The more disk drives per day, the shorter the life of your SSD. Disk space on solid state drives is also very expensive right now, so you don’t want to waste valuable disk space on a SSD. Instead buy more RAM! Cheaper right now.
1. Click on Start
2. Enter SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe into the search field
3. In the fieldset Performance at the top click on Settings
4. Go to the tab Advanced and click on Change
5. Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”
6. Select your SSD drive, e.g. Volume E:
7. At the bottom select No paging file, click on Set
8. Confirm with OK
The paging file on your SSD is now disabled. Hopefully, this will increase the life span of your SSD.
8 Trending Windows 7 Themes
4 Related Themes, Tweaks And News