How to disable automatic Windows Media Player updates?
In order to disable to the updates, we can modify a registry key.
1. Open up the registry.
2. Uncollapse [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\]
3. Right-click on the registry key Microsoft and click on New, then on Key
4. Enter the value WindowsMediaPlayer
5. Next select WindowsMediaPlayer and in the right-pane, create a DWORD-registry key:
6. Give it the value DisableAutoUpdate
7. Double-click on the newly created key and change the value from 0 to 1
Congratz, you just disabled automatic Windows media player updates. This should work on Vista and Windows 7 and for old Windows Media Player versions as well, e.g. Windows Media Player 10, 11, 12
Download Registry Key: Disable Automatic Windows Media Player Updates
Download the following registry file and double-click on it to disable automatic Windows Media Player updates:
Alternatively, you can simply copy this text into a notepad, save the file as a .reg file and double-click on it in order to disable auto updates:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
If you know a quicker way to disable Windows Media Player auto updates, post your suggestions below.
Based on 1 votes