You have a lot of Windows 7 themes and you don’t want to lose them? Then you need to know how to backup themes in Windows 7. Plus members can now download a batch file and instructions.
Table Of Contents - Quick Links!
Backup Windows 7 Themes Manually
1. If you want to manually backup Windows 7 themes, you need to know the Windows 7 themes location
Copy the folder above and you have successfully created a backup. To restore the themes, simply paste the folders.
Backup Windows 7 Themes Automatically
I like to schedule things so I don’t have to bother with it EVER again. You can either check out our guide to the best free backup software for Windows 7 that allows you to backup the entire Windows 7 PC or if you don’t want anything advanced, you can use a batch file
1. Open a notepad editor and insert this:
xcopy /S /Y C:\Windows\Resources\Themes %USERPROFILE%\Pictures\Themes-Backup\
xcopy /S /Y %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes %USERPROFILE%\Pictures\Themepack-Backup\
2. Save the file as a .bat file AND select “All files” from the dropdown when you save the notepad file!!!
3. Open the Task Scheduler and add a new task, check the option “Repeat every”. Specify your interval. As a “Action” select the .bat file
You need more instructions how to schedule a task? Read our tutorial how to schedule tasks in Windows 7
In the batch script I use xcopy and certain path variables to get your user path. %USERPROFILE% will automatically “redirect” to your user profile e.g. C:\users\sOliver or whatever your username is
Where Does It Copy My Windows 7 Theme Backups?
The batch file above copies your theme backups to your “My Pictures” folder and creates TWO subfolders, one for custom Windows 7 themes and one for Windows 7 themepack themes
There are many other ways to backup Windows 7 themes – we’ll let you know if we find any better solution, but this is simple enough.
Trending On Windows 7 Themes .Net
- Mouse Pointers For Windows
- Best Security Software For Windows 8
- Take Professional Screenshots on Windows 8