Well, as you might have heard RC will be build 7100.
Many of you will struggle updating your current beta build. Some of you might have installed many applications and don’t want to reinstall all of them.
So here’s what we can do.
Officially we are supposed to do a clean install. However, there is a workaround. Make sure you backup all files before you do it:
- Download the ISO as you did previously and burn the ISO to a DVD
- Copy the whole image to a storage location you wish to run the upgrade from (a bootable flash drive or a directory on any partition on the machine running the pre-release build)
- Browse to the sources directory
- Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad
- Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000
- Save the file in place with the same name
- Run setup like you would normally from this modified copy of the image and the version check will be bypassed
What I will personally do is, I will use Windows 7 Easy Transfer
Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Windows Easy Transfer.
After I got my backup on an external drive (oh well got to make room for it!) I will go ahead and update to RC once I get my hands on it. I wouldn’t recommend to update to any other unofficial build.
I’ll post the links to the RC as soon as it’s available.