Star Wars The Knights Of The Old Republic (short: Kotor) is currently on sale on Steam. The 2003 game doesn’t always run properly on Windows 7. Here’s the Windows 7 fix.
Table Of Contents
Disable Steam Overlay UI
1. Step First, start Steam and go to your Games library. Right-click on the entry Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and click on Properties.
2. Uncheck Enable Steam Community In-Game
The Steam Overlay UI is often causing problems, you might want to deactivate it when you run into problems.
Disable Movies / Hardware Mouse
The movies were causing a lot problems for me and I would often end up with KOTOR started but minimized to the taskbar. You can disable them via swconfig.exe in the Star Wars KOTOR directory.
1. Step Open the Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor .. this path could be different, depending on where you installed Steam
2. Step Double-click on swconfig.exe
3. Step Check Disable Movies
…. still doesn’t work? Try step 4.
4. Step Nothing Uncheck Enable Hardware Mouse (STOP: Caution, this might make things worse, I don’t recommend to disable it unless everything else above did not work)
Run KOTOR in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode
1. Step If you are trying to run old games on Windows 7, you can always try to run them in compatibility mode. To do that ..
2. Step Right-click on swkotor.exe
3. Step Go to the tab Compatibility
4. Step Check Run this program in compatibility mode for
5. Step Select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the dropdown
If you still have problems running KOTOR on Windows 7, I’d suggest updating your graphic card drivers via Steam. A lot of ATI cards seem to have problems with old programs and games. Do you have the latest Catalyst version? Here’s how to check your Catalyst version. AMD recently released the Catalyst 10.12 preview drivers.
Tags: star wars