Finding the largest files on your computer is quite easy. Here’s how to find the largest files on a Windows PC and a Linux PC.
You can download the free software ‘List Large Files V3.2″ from http://www.delphiforfun.org/Programs/Download/LargeFiles.zip. DelphiForFun.org is a reputable source. If you don’t want to download an exe file from that delphi site (Delphi is a programming language) that is understandable. You may want to download one of the free Windows 7 disk analyzer instead.
Finding the largest files on your computer (Windows PC)
1. Step Download the software from the link above. Extract the zip file. And then you will see a folder called ‘LargeFiles’.
2. Step Open the folder ‘LargeFiles’ by double clicking on it. Inside it you will see an .exe file with the name LargeFiles3.exe
3. Step Double click on it to run the exe file.
4. Step Next, select your drive on which you want to see the list of largest files, enter the “number to list” and finally click on the ‘List Largest files on selected drive’ button.
5. Step Now you should get a list of the largest files. The files are sorted by ascending order. Just click the file name to open the respective folder containing that file.
Find The Largest Files On A Linux PC
Ok, this is not a linux blog (I probably should start one), but I often use the following commands to find the largest files on Linux:
- find /home -type f -print | xargs ls -l | sort -k5,5rn | head
- find . -type f -print | ls -lR -s | sort -n | tail
- find /etc -size +100k
You need to change /home or /etc to the directory that you want to search. It will also search subdirectories.
It’s always useful to know what the largest files on your computer are and then cleanup your computer to free up some space.