If you are wondering how to install and make Minecraft work on Windows 8, here’s a small guide for you so you can play that game again.
1. Install Java Or “This Application Requires A Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0”
When you get the error “This Application Requires A Java Runtime Environment” you have to first install Java on Windows 8
2. Updating Minecraft
After installing Java you can finally launch Minecraft and login. Now it’s time for a Minecraft update:
Ok, now starts the fun. You will most likely get the error “bad video card drivers”.
Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode. This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.
In order to fix this we need some graphic card drivers that support Windows 8
3. Download Correct Graphic Card Drivers
1. Step Open Windows 8 and download a software called Everest Home (trial) or HWMonitor from cpuid.com (free). You have to find out what hardware sits inside your Windows 8 PC and what graphic card you are using.
We have prepared 2 tutorials for you to help you with
Short wrap-up (click links for more)
2. Step Open Everest and uncollapse Display, then click on Windows Video to see what graphic card you have
3. Step Check our tutorial (link above) to find out where you can download drivers for Windows 8 Consumer Preview for AMD, NVIDIA and Intel cards. Especially, AMD and NVIDIA already have beta drivers out there supporting a wide range of cards.
Don’t know what Windows 8 version you installed, 32-bit or 64-bit? Read our tutorial What Windows 8 version am I on 32-bit or 64-bit
Ok, now the Catalyst drivers are quite large 150MB+ so it may take a while to download that and the installation takes another few minutes:
A reboot is not required, simply start Minecraft again and you can now see this
Finally, you should be able to play Minecraft on Windows 8 – if it doesn’t work yet, try bugging AMD and NVIDIA to release some drivers that support your card or do a hardware upgrade so you can play it.
Error Log “Bad Video Card Drivers”
Bad video card drivers!
Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.
This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.
— BEGIN ERROR REPORT 7fe0271 ——–
Generated 06.04.12 02:32
Minecraft: Minecraft 1.2.5
OS: Windows NT (unknown) (amd64) version 6.2
Java: 1.6.0_30, Sun Microsystems Inc.
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
— END ERROR REPORT e146165 ———-
Trending On Windows Themes .Net