Today we’re going to take a look at what we need to listen to the XBOX audio via PC. You can then listen to the XBOX sound either via headset/headphone, PC speakers or your PC surround system or any other audio device that you can connect to your PC.
Basically, what you are going to learn in this tutorial is how to connect the XBOX with your PC speakers or headphones and you also learn how to connect the XBOX 360 to any VGA display. We also give you tips where to get the cheapest cables.
Needed: XBOX VGA Cable To Connect XBOX To Every (VGA) Display
First of all, you should get a XBOX VGA cable. That’s what it looks like:
As you can see the cable does not have a (yellow) video and 2 cinch connectors (red and white), instead it has a VGA connector and 2 cinch connectors. Cinch connectors are also called RCA connector or phono connector, so if you see similar descriptions don’t get confused, I simply prefer the term cinch.
Do NOT buy the official XBOX 360 VHA HD AV Cable, it will cost you $50, but you can get the same cable for $4!
CHEAP XBOX VGA CABLE = $4
Instead buy the same cable from a 3rd party and you can get it from $4 – $8:
- 6FT Cable: $4.04 – XBOX 360 VGA CABLE
- 6FT Cable: $5.5 – Xbox 360 HD VGA Audio/Video Cable 6ft
- 8FT Cable: $8.99 – VGA HD AV Cable Xbox 360
1. Connecting XBOX With Your PC Speakers via RCA to 3.5MM
In order to plug the XBOX360 audio cables into your PC, you need a special adapter, a 3.5MM Male to 2X RCA / Cinch Connector.
Here’s what it looks like:
As you can see, it’s a cinch MALE connector. When you get a cable, make sure it’s MALE or it won’t fit.
Below you will find two samples on Amazon that are very cheap. They will both work just fine:
- $2.37 – 3.5MM to 2x RCA – Cables To Go – 40645 – 3.5mm Stereo Male To 2X RCA Female Adapter
- $1.92 – 3.5MM to 2x RCA – RiteAV – 3.5mm to RCA Stereo Female Cable – 6 inch
2. Plug 3.5MM Into Microphone IN Port
Ok, we’re close now. Now, all we have to do is to connect the XBOX VGA cable and the 3.5MM to 2X RCA cable and then plug in the 3.5MM connector. Already forgot what it looks like? This is the 3.5MM connector:
So, the tough questions is where exactly do you have to plug it in in order to receive the XBOX sound? Into the pink/rose Microphone IN port on your sound card! You will use the microphone port to listen to the audio sound of your XBOX! Sounds strange, but it works, because you can use that port to listen to external audio.
I made some photos for you, so you have a clue what it all looks like:
3. Listening To XBOX via PC: Changing Microphone To “Listen To This Device”
If you have a Realtek sound card, follow the next few steps. If you don’t skip this.
1. Step Right-click on the volume icon in your system try and click on Recording Devices
2. Step Double-click on your microphone and go to the tab Listen
3. Step Check the option Listen to this device
4. Step Click on Apply
5. Step Plug in your headset/headphone or PC speakers and you can then listen to the XBOX sound via your PC line-in. Obviously, you have to plug in your speakers, headphones into the green line-in port! Additionally, you can now connect your XBOX to any VGA display. Neat, huh?
Don’t have a Realtek sound card?
1. Step Double-click on the volume icon in your system try
2. Step Click on Options, then on Properties
3. Step Select your sound card, check the option “Playback”
4. Step Make sure that your microphone is checked and Playback is allowed
FAQ: My Monitor Does Not Have A VGA Port, What Adaptor Do I Need?
As you can see on the photos above, I have a VGA to DVI-I adapter connected to the VGA cable. Why? Because one of my monitors does not have a VGA port. You can get a VGA to DVI-I adapter from Amazon for very little money, I usually have a few of them lying around because they are quite handy to have.
Most monitors use DVI-I, which allows both analog and digital signals. DVI-D only allows digital signals. If you get confused, simply take a look at this graphic of DVI connector types:
Please post your questions below.
Trending On Windows Themes .Net