If you are wondering how you can change the text “Start” on the Windows 8 Metro desktop, you can modify the file TwinUI.DLL.MUI and change the text there. All you need is a good Resource editor.
In short: We are going to download and install a resource editor, open a DLL file called TwinUI.DLL.Mui and edit the resources inside, replacing the Start text with a personal message.
Steps to edit start text on windows 8 metro desktop
Important: The tool we use in this tutorial is shareware, but there is also freeware available that you can use to edit TwinUI.DLL – see here resource editors for Windows 7
1. Step First of all you have to download Resource Tuner tool which enables you to edit system files. We have previously reviewed resource editors for Windows 7 that work well, but you can also download one from http://www.heaventools.com/download/pexsetup.exe which we we use for this tutorial. Download and save the installation file to your computer. You may use any other free alternatives freeware / software for editing system files.
2. Step Next, open the installation file by double clicking on it. Click on Yes on the User Account Control box.
3. Step Click on the Next.
4. Step Next, tick / select I accept the agreement and click on the Next button.
5. Step Then click on the Next button.
6. Step Click on the Next button and again Next in another step.
7. Step Next, click on the Install button.
8. Step Finally, click on the Finish button.
9. Step Next, The application launches. Click on the File > Open File and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\en-US
10. Step Next, select Files of type as Multilingual User Interface Pack (*.mui)
11. Next, select twinui.dll.mui file and click on the Open to open it.
12. Next, click on the Resource Viewer/Editor icon on the toolbar.
13. Next, Navigate to String and select 235. On the right pane, you will see some code.
14. Next, click on the Resource Editor icon (or press Shift+Ctrl+E).
15. Next, you will see a TEXT MODE. The text at the lower window is editable. You can start typing your text – simply replace Start with your own text that you want to appear on the Metro start screen.
16. Type your text in the lower box and click on the OK button.
17. A message pops asking you to proceed. Click Yes to save your changes. That’s all. Now, restart your PC to see the changes.
18. Next, Click on the File >> Save File As.. Then click on the Save button. You will see a message ‘twinui.dll.mui already exist. Do you want to replace it?’. Click on the Yes button. Now, restart your PC to see the changes. That are the complete steps to edit start text on Windows 8 metro desktop.
You may want edit the start text on the Windows 8 metro desktop. Follow this tutorial to edit the start text. If you get an error, then copy the twinui.dll.mui file from C:\Windows\System32\en-US to another directory and then later after editing it, replace it with the original file in C:\Windows\System32\en-US.
Customizing the Metro desktop is quite some fun and makes it a little more personal.
Trending On Windows Themes .Net